Latest statistics show that PHP is widely used and used by ~78% of all the websites. PHP also provides built in functions for communicating with MySQL database , which is a easy to use RDBMS.
Apart from making webdesign and programming easier , These are some of the reasons why PHP & MySQL has advantage over other languages:
- Both are open source and free.
- Better Performance :They are designed with Speed as a main goal.
- PHP and MySQl has wide support from Developer community , so incase there are issues , It can be solved easily.
- Customizable: Since Both are open source, one can modify to fit their own requirement.
- Many free frameworks(CMS - Content Management Systems) are available: Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal , etc are some of the top frameworks which uses the PHP and MySQL to provide users tools to develop website easilty.